When it comes to tight budgets, marketing is usually the first expense to be cut. But small business marketing is crucial to your success as a business owner and can be achieved, even when money is tight.
In this article, we’ll share with you some of the best small business marketing ideas that won’t break the bank, and how WPForms can help.
Why is Marketing Important?
If you want your business to be successful, you have to focus on marketing it by advertising, promoting, and selling your products and services.
After all, if people don’t know your company exists, how can you expect them to come to your online shop and purchase anything?
Small business marketing is crucial for:
- Brand Awareness. Unless people already know you exist, you need to increase brand awareness by promoting your business across many channels. Even if you’re a well-established brand, expanding your reach to grow your business is helped with marketing.
- Increase Sales. The farther your reach, the more sales potential your company has. In fact, the better you market your company to your target audience, and deliver on your promise to provide high-quality products and services, the better your reputation will be. Once you have a solid reputation, you’ll see more sales.
- Beating the Competition. As you grow your business, your competition will fight for your target audience. However, by advertising, promoting, and establishing yourself as having more value than the competition, you’ll find yourself outselling everyone.
So, now that you know why marketing is crucial to your success, let’s take a look at some low budget marketing ideas for small businesses.
1. Post Valuable Blog Content
It may seem obvious, but one of the best ways to market your brand is to consistently publish valuable, informative, and entertaining content on your website.
In fact, if you leverage your content right, your blog can become the very foundation of all your marketing efforts.
You can use this opportunity to share news about your products and services, teach people how to use what you have to offer, and even capture more leads.
And the best part? Starting a WordPress blog is relatively cheap to do, and blogging doesn’t cost a thing.
Are you part of the 51% of marketers that say they simply don’t have enough time to regularly publish blog content?
That’s okay! Using the WPForms Post Submissions addon, you can let site visitors do the work for you by letting them publish blog posts right onto your website for others to read.
For help with this, check out our tutorial on how to let users submit blog posts on your WordPress website.
2. Publish Testimonials
85% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations.
So, by adding testimonials to your website, you not only add an extra element of social proof to your site endorsing what you have for sale, you help potential buyers make better decisions since they’re likely to trust what your satisfied customers have to say.
Another great way to foster trust and encourage people to become customers is to display reviews on your website, like many popular eCommerce sites do.
If you want to add social proof to your website, check out these easy ways:
- Show real live user activity on your website
- Allow users to leave reviews on your website
- Collect user reviews on an existing form to see how people feel about your business
- Add a survey form to your website to get answers to specific questions about your business
- Create a Net Promoter Score survey to find out whether people would recommend your business to others
Again, all of these strategies are very low budget, yet they can help you show others how great you are. Use the positive opinions you collect to boost conversions and sales, and grow you business.
Want more ways to display social proof on your website? Check out these examples of social proof that can be added to your WordPress forms.
3. Build an Email List
You should know by now that every business should have an email list and run regular email marketing campaigns to promote their business.
Well, despite what you may think, having a large email list doesn’t have to be expensive.
Not to mention, you can easily add a subscribe checkbox to any of your WordPress forms to build your email list and continue marketing your products and services to those that show interest in what you have to offer.
Are you ready to build an email list and start sending email campaigns? Check out our roundup of the best email marketing services, complete with free options, and get started today.
4. Run a Contest
Running a contest is one of the best ways to build consumer awareness and get your company’s name out there.
Plus, they’re lots of fun.
You can give away some of your products and services in exchange for getting people to:
- Enter a sweepstakes
- Vote for more contest entries
- Submit videos or photos for a chance to win
- Pen an essay about a topic of your choosing
- Leave a review in exchange for entry
- Provide an email address in exchange for an entry
- Refer others for more contest entries
- Run an Instagram hashtag or photo caption contest
The options are endless and can be as simple or complex as you want them to be.
The point is all you have to do is take the time to manage the contest and put up a small prize. From there, you’ll let others market your business for you.
Take for instance this end of the summer contest:
Here, all you have to do is subscribe for a chance to win. From there, Domino, Draper James, and Hayneedle can send their email marketing campaigns to you, in hopes you’ll become a loyal customer.
If you’re looking for an easy way to set up a contest on your website, check out the WPForms Form Templates Pack addon, which just so happens to have a Contest Entry Form template.
Just customize the form to look the way you want so people can start entering your contest right away.
5. Network with Others
Working with a high profile influencer can cost you thousands per campaign. And, while their reach, engagement, and results may be stellar, if you’re a small business on a budget, that’s not going to be an option for you.
However, there are less expensive ways to market your brand within your industry. All you have to do is a little friendly networking.
For example, ask to guest post on an influential website that you know has a lot of traffic that might be interested in what you have to offer.
It doesn’t cost you anything but time, you’ll be allowed to link back to your website which will drive traffic to your site, and you might even be able to squeeze in a product of yours right into the blog post itself.
And, in an effort to keep the relationship going, you can always extend the same favor to other small businesses like yourself.
If you need help with advertising guest posting opportunities on your website, check out this helpful article on how to get more guest posts submissions on your website.
And don’t forget, you can always attend local events, Meetup groups, conventions, and more to network with industry professionals.
And there you have it! Five small business marketing ideas and how WPForms can help.
If you want to make sure your marketing efforts are working, be sure to check out this article on the 4 email marketing metrics that matter most to your success.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started with the most powerful WordPress forms plugin today.