Want to speed up your WordPress site and webpage load time? CDN companies (Content Delivery Network companies) can prove to be vital in boosting the performance of your website and user experiences.
In this article, we’ll compare the best CDN providers along with their pros and cons to help you speed up your website.
Here’s a table of contents of the CDN providers on our list:
What Is a CDN?
A CDN or Content Delivery Network is a network of servers that keeps a cached copy of your website on multiple servers.
And it delivers that copy from servers located near the geographical location of your site visitors.
However, you should note that you still need a web hosting account to keep your website files. The job of the CDN provider is to keep the static resources of your website and not host your original website files.
Let us explain the concept of CDN with the help of an example.
Say, your WordPress site is hosted on Bluehost and the server of your Bluehost account is located in Los Angeles. When someone from London visits your site, the website files will be fetched from the server located in Los Angeles.
This may affect the loading time of your site. Also, the site speed will be affected by the increase in the number of requests made to a single server. This is where a CDN provider comes in handy. It keeps a static copy of your website in different locations across the world.
Thus, the visitor will be served with a cached copy of the website from the nearest CDN server and not the original files from your web host. This will help you to reduce the loading time of your website. With the concept of CDN clear now, let’s take a look at the best CDN providers to speed up your WordPress site.
The Best CDN Providers
Here’s a list of our top picks for the fastest and most reliable CDNs.
StackPath is one of the best CDN providers in the market. They acquired MaxCDN a few years ago to strengthen their service.
It comes with multiple data centers across the world, so it helps you improve the loading speed of your website. Plus, it comes with private EdgeSSL certificate for free with their plan.
Stackpath is very easy to set up and allows you to monitor real-time analytics. It also comes with features like intelligent caching system, Gzip compression, 301 redirects, and much more.
Unlike most CDN providers, StackPath offers security services including load balancing and blocking features for DDoS protection, plus firewall along with their CDN service. And you have the option to either purchase just the CDN service or buy their bundle of different services.
- Use on unlimited websites without any restrictions
- Offers 1 TB (Terabyte) per month bandwidth with their basic plan
- Free private EdgeSSL certificate
- Multiple server locations across the globe
- Comes with additional security services
- They don’t offer a free plan. However, you can use their one-month free trial to test their service
Price: StackPath offers different bundles and services at discounted rates. However, you can only purchase their CDN service at $10 per month.
Sucuri is a popular website security company that protects your site from hackers, DDoS attacks, and malware. You can use their WordPress plugin to monitor and scan your website for security issues.
Along with their security features, they also provide CDN service to help you optimize your website for speed. Optimization with site speed is super important for SEO and tons of other reasons.
They use the best hardware and technologies required to improve the performance of your site. And they offer multiple caching options for different types of websites.
- Unlimited bandwidth limit with every plan
- Reliable website uptime
- Offers security features along with their CDN service
- Their support team is available 24/7 to help you solve your problems
- DNS Monitoring that features warnings when your site’s name servers, MX records, or IP address changes
- Costly compared to StackPath
- Doesn’t offer any free plan
Price: Starting from $199 per year for a single website.
They have more than 180 data centers around the world. This can prove to be useful to improve the performance, speed, and security of your website.
You can easily set up Cloudflare on your WordPress site. It’ll automatically cache the resources of your website, though you can purge or clear them from the control panel if you want.
One of the drawbacks of Cloudflare is you’ll have to upgrade to a premium plan to use all their security features, unlike other CDN services like StackPath and Sucuri.
- Easy to set up
- Easily monitor the performance from the control panel
- 180+ data centers across the globe including North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Australia/New Zealand.
- REST API lets developers to take full control of what the service is doing
- The free plan comes with limited features
- You’ll have to upgrade to their paid plans to use their chat or phone support
- Since the free plan offers limited security features, your website may not be secure from DDoS attacks, malware, and spam
Price: Free. If you need extra features, then you’ll have to upgrade to their premium plan starting from $20 per month.
They offer “pay as you go” plans to their customers, that means you only pay for what you use. Though this can be useful for low traffic websites, the monthly bill may increase if you receive a lot of traffic to your site.
Some of the important features of KeyCDN include Gzip compression, real-time reports, instant purge options, two-factor authentication, DDoS protection, and much more.
- 34 data centers
- Easy to set up on your WordPress site
- “Pay as you go” plans
- Customer support is available 24/7 at no additional cost
- Doesn’t offer a free plan
- Limited security features compared to others
Price: Pay as you go, starting from $0.04 per GB
Rackspace is a popular managed and dedicated cloud computing service provider. They also offer CDN service to help you boost the performance of eCommerce sites, web applications, and other websites.
It uses the “pay as you go” pricing system just like KeyCDN. And you’ll have to pay $0.16 per GB to use their service.
Rackspace is built on powerful cloud infrastructure, so you can expect your WordPress site to be fast. Also, it’s present on more than 200 data centers around the world.
However, you should note that setting up Rackspace CDN is a bit complicated compared to other CDN providers on our list.
- Powerful cloud infrastructure
- 200 centers across the world
- “Pay as you go” pricing plans
- Doesn’t offer DDoS protection
- Costly compared to KeyCDN
- Configuring their service is a bit complicated compared to the rest
Price: Pay as you go, starting from $0.16 per GB
Google Cloud CDN is a low-cost content delivery service that uses Google’s global network. They have data centers at 90 locations around the world.
It comes with an SSL certificate at no additional cost to secure your website. You can also seamlessly integrate it with the Google Cloud Platform.
Apart from the above, you even have the option to use their $300 free trial credit to test their service over the next 90 days.
- 90 data centers
- Affordable pricing plan
- Free SSL certificate
- Offers a $300 free trial credit
- Configuration can be difficult compared to others
- Lack of proper support, you need to pay to get technical support
Price: “Pay as you go” pricing plans. They also offer a free trial to test their service.
It comes with an easy-to-understand interface, so you can manage everything easily. They also offer security features including DDoS and malware protection to protect your website from hackers.
One of the disadvantages of CacheFly compared to other popular CDN providers is it’s very expensive. Their basic plan starts at $295 per month which is not suitable for most online businesses.
- Simple dashboard to manage everything
- Offers security features
- Excellent support team
- Very expensive compared to others
Price: Starting at $495 per month.
Amazon CloudFront is a popular CDN for websites offered by Amazon Web Services, especially because of it’s speed. Yes, it’s very fast, but it’s also very advanced. So, it may be better for programmers or developers instead of beginners.
- Integrated with AWS
- Instant deliverability of personalized and dynamic content
- Hundreds of edge locations around the globe.
- Can be difficult for people to use
Price: Pricing vary by location and are offered on a pay-as-you go basis.
Which CDN Service is Best for You?
After comparing the pros and cons of the above services, we can conclude that StackPath is the best CDN provider in the market.
They offer useful features at an affordable rate to help you speed up your WordPress site. Plus, StackPath comes with security features to protect your site from malware, spam, and bad traffic.
Sucuri is another service that we can highly recommend. Though it’s popular for its security services, you can use their CDN service to boost the performance of your website.
We hope this article helped you choose the best CDN provider to speed up your WordPress site.
If you’re looking for a reliable web hosting service, then you may check out our article on the best managed WordPress hosting companies.