Looking for the best WordPress popup plugins to turn your site visitors into subscribers and paying customers?
Popup plugins are a wildly popular and effective way to get more subscribers and sales on your website. In this article, we’ve listed the very best WordPress popup plugins to skyrocket your email list in 2019.
Best WordPress Popup Plugins
Here’s a summary of our list of the best WordPress popup plugins:
Do I Need a WordPress Popup Plugin?
Asking yourself how do I create a custom popup in WordPress? You’ll need a WordPress popup plugin to do it.
However, most email marketing services do let you create a simple popup form.
But the biggest con to using a generic and simple popup form on your site is that they can be unattractive and fail to grab your visitor’s attention.
So if you really want to boost the growth of your email list, you’ll need to create visually appealing popup forms that are targeted to your unique visitors. A simple and the most popular way to do this is by using popups with a plugin.
But there are a lot out there, so how do you choose the best WordPress popup plugin?
How to Choose the Best WordPress Popup Plugin?
When choosing the best WordPress popup plugin, we suggest you look for a solution that:
- Offers a wide-range of popup templates
- Is easy to use
- Has different campaign types
- Provides customizable triggers for popups
- Integrates with your email marketing service
- Has excellent customer support
Popups can grow your email list like crazy, especially when used correctly. But popups can sometimes irritate your visitors, therefore ruining the user experience on your site.
To avoid this, be very selective about the WordPress popup plugin you pick. It’s important to make sure you go with one that has lots of features, looks professional, and lets you control when it’s activated.
Worried about setting up your popup plugin? Don’t be. Next, let’s take a look at how easy the best WordPress popup plugins are to set up.
How Do I Use Popup Plugins in WordPress?
To use popup plugins in WordPress, you simply need to install and activate the software. For help, check out this great article on how to install a WordPress plugin.
Every popup plugin on this list ended up here because it’s relatively easy to set up and has lots of helpful docs to get you up and running.
With that said, let’s take a look at our picks for the best popup plugins for WordPress.
Which Is the Best WordPress Popup Plugin?
Let’s go ahead and take a peek at the pros and cons of each product so you can find the best WordPress popup plugin for you.
OptinMonster is a powerful online lead generation software that’s used by millions of websites. It’s signature Exit-Intent® technology helps convert abandoning visitors into subscribers and paying customers. It’s simply the best popup plugin on the market.
- Exit-Intent® — Convert visitors leaving your website into leads by displaying a targeted campaign when they’re about to abandon your site.
- Advanced Targeting — OptinMonster has not only page level targeting but advanced display rules like referrer detection, geolocation, and more.
- Easy to use — Features a drag and drop builder for simple setup and customization.
- Popup Templates — Choose from pre-built popups or start from scratch and build one.
- Campaigns — Create popup campaigns for lightbox popups, floating bars, countdown timers, content lockers, fullscreen welcome mats, and slide-in scroll boxes.
- Use on multiple sites — OptinMonster is a SaaS (software as a service), so you can use one account on multiple websites.
- Support — Access fantastic customer service with their knowledgeable support staff.
- Spin to win — Use a discount wheel popup to maximize your conversions.
- No free option — OptinMonster has no free version. But if you’re serious about making money online, it’s well worth the cost.
How Much Does OptinMonster Cost?
OptinMonster pricing ranges from $9 – $49 per month (billed annually).
Social proof popup notifications are a new and popular way to grow your email list (and boost your sales). And because TrustPulse is the most powerful social proof app for business sites, we definitely had to include it on this list of the best WordPress popup plugins. It helps increase trust, conversions, and sales by displaying sleek-looking social proof notifications on your website.
- Uses urgency — Works as a FOMO (fear of missing out) plugin by creating a feeling of urgency with timely notifications
- Supports multiple platforms — Use it on all popular website platforms, including WordPress, Squarespace, Drupal, Shopify, and others
- Tracking — Track purchases, downloads, and registrations on your site, then show them as recent activity
- Customizable — Choose exactly where and when to display notifications to convert more users into customers
- Limited sessions — The free version is capped at 500 sessions per month, but it’s affordable to increase that limit
How Much Does TrustPulse Cost?
TrustPulse pricing ranges from free to $350+ per month (billed annually).
One of the newer options on this list is Icegram, a service that helps you create popups and email optins to grow your email list. Besides creating popups and optin forms, you can make engaging Call To Action (CTA) buttons to drive visitors to any page you want (including affiliate links).
- Cost — Icegram is a freemium plugin that is free to use, but premium addons cost money
- No traffic limit — Unlike some of the others on this list, there’s no traffic limit, so you can keep using it even if your site gets tons of visits
- Poor user interface — The user interface is hard to use and not intuitive. It doesn’t have a drag and drop builder, so creating even a simple popup form can be hard
- Limited targeting — There’s only basic targeting such as time-based targeting, so this solution lacks a ton of options that could help you get more conversions
- Unattractive built-in templates — It’s a free solution, so the templates don’t look great and could turn visitors away if they think your site looks unprofessional
How Much Does Icegram Cost?
Icegram is a freemium software, meaning it’s free but premium addons range from $7 – $27.
4. Ninja Popups
Ninja Popups is a popular and straightforward popup plugin for WordPress sites and has lots of email marketing integrations. It helps you build simple popup forms in a visual drag and drop interface.
- Active developer — Ninja popups is updated frequently to address any bug issues and new features
- User interface — Use a drag and drop builder to build forms visually
- Animation — Access dozens of effects to optimize your popups
- Analytics — Use their built-in A/B testing
- Mobile ready — Popups look good on phones and tablets
- Very basic targeting – Their targeting rules are extremely basic. They don’t have geo-targeting, UTM targeting, or other advanced targeting rules like OptinMonster has.
- Limited campaign options – Ninja Popups is focused just on popups, so they don’t offer floating bars or other campaign types to maximize your conversions.
- Limited form customization – Ninja Popups doesn’t allow you to create your own custom HTML forms, so make sure they integrate with your service provider.
- No free version — You have to pay to use this product at all
How Much Does Ninja Popups Cost?
Ninja Popups pricing starts at $26.
Built by and offered to customers of Elegant Themes, Bloom is a WordPress popup builder plugin that can save you some money if you’re already using one of their themes for your small business. It lets you build beautiful popup forms right from your WordPress dashboard. Bloom also offers a great demo site to test it out.
- Built-in templates — Pick from 100’s of templates, so you don’t have to build a form from scratch
- Dashboard — Access a custom panel in the WordPress dashboard with detailed reports on conversion rates and more
- A/B testing — Compare the performance of one popup to another with split testing in Bloom and figure out which one is the most effective
- Bundled with a theme — Can be cost-effective if you were planning to use a theme like Divi from Elegant themes
- Campaigns — Pick from 6 different display types like optin popup, optin fly-ins, and others
- Speed — Using Bloom on WordPress sites could slow them down and impact performance and user experience
- No visual customizer — You’ll need to click on the preview button to view any changes you make to your form.
- Lacks features — While it offers most essential tools, it still lacks many useful features that OptinMonster offers like an exit-intent trigger.
- Targeting — Bloom only offers basic targeting options
How Much Does the Bloom Plugin Cost?
Bloom is priced at $89 a year or $249 for lifetime access, and includes access to the site builder Divi.
6. Thrive Leads
Just like Bloom, Thrive Leads also lets you create gorgeous popup and optin forms right from your WordPress dashboard. Thrive Leads is another list building plugin by a theme company (Thrive Themes), and they’re specialized in creating conversion focused WordPress themes and plugins.
- Pay just once — The one-time payment for Thrive Leads lets you download the plugin and use without a recurring payment
- Advanced analytics — Get detailed insights into your list building efforts and conversion rates with data reports and form analytics
- Speed — Thrive Leads is a huge plugin that could negatively impact your site’s performance
- Ease of use — Getting started with Thrive Leads can be pretty difficult, even for experienced WordPress users
How Much Does Thrive Leads Cost?
Thrive Leads pricing ranges from $67 – $147.
Aside from being one of the best WordPress popup plugins, Sumo also helps you with social sharing and analytics with things like heat maps and a scroll box. Just like OptinMonster, SumoMe is also a standalone solution.
- Free — It doesn’t cost anything to use the limited features, but the free version shows blue notification bars across your site, which screams unprofessional to some visitors
- Create popups based on traffic source — Create customized popups for people based on how your visitor got to your site (premium version)
- Pre-built templates — Choose from a list of pre-designed templates specific to your popup goals (premium version)
- Limited features — Lacks a lot of specialized features and targeting options for popups since it’s a broad product with other focus areas
- Traffic limit — You’ll pay more if you get a lot of traffic with Sumo’s pricing model
- Expensive — Best features are in the premium version, so if you’re looking for just a simple popup plugin, Sumo might not be a good fit for you
How Much Does Sumo Cost?
Sumo pricing ranges from free to $39 per month (billed annually).
8. Popup Maker
Popup Maker is another popular free WordPress popup plugin. It has multiple optin popup types and campaigns like lightbox popups, slide-in popups, sticky popups, notification popups, and more. You’ll also have the option to customize the look and location of your optin popup.
- Free — Use this plugin at no cost
- Features — Even the free version has a lot of tools for you to use
- Triggers — Add click-based triggers to your navigation menu, buttons, sidebars, images, sidebars, and more
- Form builder integration — Easily integrate your popups with popular contact form plugins like WPForms
- Targeting options — Set up conditional targeting and control where to show your popup like any other powerful popup maker
- Exit intent — The exit intent feature is not free (or robust) and is only available if you pay for it, so you could lose a lot of conversions
- Popup analytics — You won’t see popup analytics to track your campaigns in the free version of Popup Maker
- Advanced targeting —You’ll have to purchase an addon to access helpful features like advanced targeting conditions, and the price could add up to the cost of a premium plugin
How Much Does Popup Maker Cost?
Popup Maker pricing ranges from free to $16 per month (billed annually).
If you’re still wondering which is the best popup plugin for WordPress, our vote is OptinMonster.
For the amount of features you get at the price, it’s the best choice by a mile. And since your email list is such an important part of your business online, you owe it to yourself to go with a premium WordPress popup plugin.
And there you have it. We hope this list of the best WordPress popup plugins helped you find the solution that fits your needs so you can grow your email list and boost your online sales.
Looking for more helpful tools for your site? Check out our post on the best WordPress plugins to find all kinds of cool features.