Are you looking for the best WordPress geolocation plugins?
Geolocation can help you learn more about your visitors by tracking where they live. You can also geotarget visitors to show or hide content based on their location.
In this article, we’ll look at the best geolocation and geotargeting plugins for WordPress.
How Do I Add Geolocation to WordPress?
You can easily add gelocation to WordPress using a geolocation plugin. Before choosing a plugin, it helps to decide what you want to do with the location data.
In WordPress, you can use geolocation plugins for 3 main purposes:
- Location tracking – These plugins track the visitor’s location and save it in WordPress. This is super helpful if you want to know where a visitor is from without asking them to manually type in their address.
- Content blocking – Some geotargeting plugins let you show or hide parts of your site according to your visitor’s location. This can be helpful for affiliate sites that need to show visitors different links. Some plugins even allow you to block access to your entire site based on the visitor’s IP or GPS coordinates.
- Content tagging – These plugins allow you to add location tags to your posts, pages, and even your users. This lets you display posts using map pins, or lets your users find other people close by. You could use these plugins to make a journal that automatically captures where you are when you create each post.
Let’s move on and look at the best plugins to use and display geographic data in WordPress.
Best WordPress Geolocation Plugins
In this article, we’ll look at some plugins that use geographic data in different ways.
- Geotargeting Pro
- CF Geo
- iQ Block Country
- GEO My WP
- Simple Location
- Custom Content by Country
Let’s start with the best contact form plugin.
WPForms is the best form builder for WordPress. It lets you easily make different types of WordPress forms to your site using a drag and drop builder.
You can easily start out with the free version, WPForms Lite.
But we recommend that you upgrade to WPForms Pro so you can use the Geolocation addon.
The Geolocation addon lets you easily see the location of every visitor that submits a form. There are no settings to configure: you can simply activate it to use it.
When a visitor submits a form, you’ll see their location right in the WordPress dashboard. The plugin tracks the visitor by IP, so they don’t see any popups asking for their location.
Geolocation makes forms easier to fill in because you can get a visitor’s location without asking them to type in their full address. That can help to reduce form abandonment.
And WPForms has tons more awesome features like:
- 100+ form templates
- Surveys and poll tools
- File upload forms
- Form landing pages
- Payment forms
- CSV exports
- Automatic form expiry
- Conditional logic
- GDPR compliant
And because you can make conversational forms, it’s also the best Typeform alternative for WordPress!
Want to unlock the location of every person using your forms? WPForms is worth it.
Read more about the features in WPForms in our detailed WPForms vs Ninja Forms review.
MonsterInsights is the best analytics plugin for WordPress. It lets you easily connect your WordPress site to Google Analytics so you can easily see how your website is performing.
MonsterInsights is awesome because it makes analytics data easy to understand. And it also shows reports right in the WordPress dashboard, so everything you need to know is instantly accessible.
For example, you can easily use geolocation to easily see where your visitors are:
You can get even more geolocation data from the Audience Demographics report. It shows you the exact demographics of your website users.
If you’ve ever spent tons of time trying to understand the data in Google Analytics, you’ll love how easy it is to find information quickly in MonsterInsights.
Don’t forget: MonsterInsights is a fully GDPR compliant plugin. It has an EU Compliance addon that makes it easy to disable specific trackers to comply with privacy laws.
You’ll also get:
- Detailed event tracking
- eCommerce reports for WooCommerce, MemberPress, and Easy Digital Downloads
- Form conversion tracking
- Affiliate link tracking
- Author popularity tracking
- Real-time traffic view
- SEO score tracking
- Custom dimensions
- WordPress dashboard reporting
- AMP compatible tracking
- Search Console data
- Headline analyzer tool
Pricing: There’s a free version of MonsterInsights. The paid version starts at $199/ yr.
TrustPulse is an awesome social proof tool. You can use it with WordPress to display real user activity in popups.
You can use TrustPulse to track conversions, like your WooCommerce sales. When it detects a purchase, it’ll show your new visitors details of the purchase or activity.
And TrustPulse uses geolocation to put a map and a location right on the popup.
The location and map on the popup is important to build trust and makes your site look relevant to people close by.
Showing your visitors social proof popups helps to show them they can trust you. When people see that other customers are buying from you, they’re more likely to take action and make a purchase themselves.
- 5-minute setup
- Automatic conversion tracking
- Customizable popups
- Smart targeting
- FOMO notifications showing real traffic
- Conversion rate analytics
- Compatible with WooCommerce, Shopify, WordPress and more.
Pricing: There’s a free 14-day trial for TrustPulse. The Basic plan costs $9/mo for up to 2,500 sessions.
Geotargeting Pro lets you show content to users based on their location. It’s designed for affiliate sites and stores that need to show different versions of their site to different users.
You can use shortcodes to display content based on location, right down to individual cities. It lets you dynamically customize your WordPress template files, content, sidebars, and menus.
Geotargeting Pro also lets you also show or hide products in WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads based on the visitor’s location.
- IP and GPS location detection
- Make your own region-based shortcodes
- Group cities or countries into custom regions
- Geolocation redirects
- Geolocation content blocks
- Location-sensitive links
- Detects IP through Sucuri and Cloudflare
- Works with caching plugins via AJAX
- Compatible with local databases like Maxmind Geolite2 and GeoIP2, IP2Location, Kinsta GeoIP, and WP Engine GeoIP
Pricing: Geotargeting Pro costs from $9/mo for 10,000 requests on unlimited sites. There’s a 14-day free trial.
The Geolocation plugin lets you geotag posts and pages in WordPress. You can use it to add a location or address to any piece of content. The plugin can also show a map with a pin on each post.
When composing posts, you can show the address at the top or bottom of your post, or set up a custom location. The visitor can hover over the location to see a popup map.
- Use shortcodes to show maps
- Show multiple locations for 1 post or page
- Show locations for multiple posts on 1 map
- Works with or without Google Maps API
Pricing: The Geolocation plugin is free.
6. CF Geo
If you’re looking for a geolocation plugin for currency conversion, CF Geo could be the right choice for your site. It lets you detect visitors’ location and customize the content and pricing they see.
You can show content to your visitors based on their location, which can really help if you’re an affiliate marketer and you want to show location-sensitive links.
You can also use this plugin to attach geographical data and maps to posts, or block visitors from specific locations from accessing your site.
- Create banners
- Show Google Maps
- Geotag your posts and pages
- Block locations
- Shortcode compatible
- Cloudflare compatible
- WooCommerce integration
Pricing: There’s a free version. If you need more functionality, the paid version starts at $10/mo for 1 site.
If you want to restrict access to your site based on location, the iQ Block Country lets you do that easily. Use it to restrict access to specific posts or pages by automatically detecting the visitor’s IP address.
You can also lock the entire WordPress admin area to different countries and IP addresses, or block everyone except for your own IP. Blocking IPs can also help to stop contact form spam if you’re getting repeated sales or phishing emails.
When used in this way, it’s a useful WordPress security plugin.
- Restrict posts, categories, and pages by a user’s location
- IP blocklist/ allowlist
- Customizable block message
- Block page redirect
- Restrict access to the WordPress admin with geolocation information
- Uses MaxMind GeoLite or GeoIP database
- User tracking
- GDPR compliant
Pricing: iQ Block Country is free.
8. GEO My WP
GEO My WP is a powerful WordPress plugin that lets you geotag different parts of your website. It’s designed for community sites, dating sites, business directories, and any other site that’s location-dependent.
You can use GEO My WP to tag any post type on your site. You can show maps, and your visitors can search for posts based on the location or distance.
GEO My WP is BuddyPress compatible too, so you can allow your BuddyPress members to use proximity search to find people close by.
- Geotag any post, page, or custom post type
- Browser and IP geolocation
- Display custom maps using shortcodes
- Address autocomplete feature
- Supports directory listings
- Let visitors search for posts based on location or distance
- Powered by Google Maps API and OpenStreetMap
- BuddyPress location for users and groups
- WP Job Manager compatible
- Unlimited usage
- Compatible with all WordPress themes
Pricing: There’s a free version of Geo My WP. Extensions and addons are priced separately.
Simple Location is another neat plugin for storing geolocation data in WordPress. It lets you add coordinates to any post, comment, user, or file.
The coolest feature is the ability to save geolocation data from uploaded photos. It can also show weather data on your posts. This makes Simple Location an awesome plugin if you have a travel blog or you want to add check-in locations when you post new content.
WordPress has its own way of storing location data called Geodata. Simple Location uses this to store your location info so it can be accessed by other plugins.
- Add locations and maps to posts
- Show weather information
- WordPress Geodata compatible
- Hide location for WordPress users who aren’t logged in
- Supports HTML5 geolocation
- Supports custom map providers
Pricing: Simple Location is free.
Custom Content by Country generates Amazon affiliate links based on the visitor’s location. You can use this plugin to make money on your blog by always showing visitors the correct Amazon affiliate links for their location.
The plugin can also show or hide blocks of text. That means it’s a lot more versatile than geolocation plugins that can only control full posts or pages.
It also has shortcodes to dynamically show the visitor’s country name or IP address.
- Show or hide text using a shortcode
- Cloudflare compatible
- IP2Nation compatible
- W3 Total Cache compatible
Pricing: Custom Content by Country is free.
CloudGuard lets you hide your WordPress admin area to users in specific countries. It uses the free Cloudflare geolocation service to detect the visitor’s location, so it doesn’t place any additional load on your server.
Additionally, CloudGuard tracks all of the attempts to access the dashboard. You can see all of the attempted visits on a map and track who’s trying to access your login page.
- Secure your WordPress login using geolocation
- Monitor login attempts
- Block logins or redirect login attempts
- Free Cloudflare account required
Pricing: CloudGuard is free.
Next Step: Easily Get More Info on Your Visitors
Want more info about your visitors? Don’t stop at geolocation!
If you want to easily see how people are using your site, you can install the User Journey addon in WPForms. This addon shows you exactly which pages and posts your visitors looked at before they submitted your form.
The User Journey addon makes it easy to see which pages are driving conversions. Just like the geolocation addon, it works right out of the box.
Ready to build your form? Get started today with the easiest WordPress form builder plugin. WPForms Pro includes the Geolocation and User Journey addons and offers a 14-day money-back guarantee.