If you’re looking for the best free WordPress forms plugin, this is the post for you. A contact form is one of the most important elements you need on your website. And using a good free form builder can skyrocket your website’s growth.
In this post, we’ve rounded up the best free form plugins for WordPress to help you to choose the right one for you.
What Is the Best Form Maker for WordPress?
Here’s a list of our top WordPress form maker picks:
Your WordPress forms are important. And because of that, many successful business owners use a WordPress form builder app. So let’s take a lot at the very best form plugins that made our list of the best form plugin for WordPress.
FREE Form Builder Plugins for WordPress
Here are the very best free form builders out there:
WPForms is the best WordPress form plugin for WordPress for a lot of reasons. It’s a beginner-friendly contact form plugin that’s easy to use yet very powerful. And it millions of active installs which makes sense since it’s very popular in the WordPress community.
- An easy to use drag and drop form builder that can build a simple form or a complex one with custom field types and edit it in real-time
- WPForms comes with a free version and a premium one, and you can customize your form on your WordPress site in the visual builder
- The free version called WPForms Lite offers all the essential features required to create a contact form using its easy drag and drop interface
- You can build custom newsletter signup forms with branded styling and integrate them with tons of email marketing services or CRM software like Salesforce.
- Get an automatic email notification when people filled out your form and can easily view your form entries, to help automate sales workflows
- Speaking of automation, you can connect your forms to Uncanny Automator to integrate with plugins like WooCommerce, Elementor, Sendfox, and MailPoet
- Like customization? Create customized registration forms and multi-step forms for WordPress, or get even deeper with Webhooks
- Capture emails even when people don’t finish filling out forms and reduce your form abandonment rate
- You don’t have to write a single line of code to create different types of forms and can use widgets or shortcode
- Create powerful surveys and polls with things like Likert and a star rating in minutes using the survey addon
- Let your visitors add user-submitted events to a calendar and display it on your site
- Create distraction-free form landing pages as a Google Forms alternative or using Google Sheets or Dropbox with Zapier for form data collection
- Offer file uploads of files, documents, or images with form submissions
- Collect online payments and credit cards on your website using Stripe, Authorize.Net, and PayPal with easy-to-build payment and order forms.
- It’s 100% responsive so even your mobile forms look fantastic on all devices
- It gives you full control over user collected data, so it’s one of the best GDPR plugins
- Use hCaptcha, reCAPTCHA, anti-spam protection, or custom Captcha to prevent spam submissions on your web form
- Use the conditional logic feature to personalize your survey questions based on the respondents’ answers
So you can select a form template of your choice and not build everything from scratch. You can then add or remove fields, reorder the fields, and make changes to the settings before publishing the form.
And whether you are using the Classic editor or the block editor, you can easily add your form to any post, page, or even the sidebar of your WordPress website. It’s easily the best online form builder and free online form builder out there.
$59+/year + 14-day money-back guarantee. If you’re looking for free online forms, you can also use WPForms Lite to use the free form builder before upgrading to the premium version.
Formidable Forms is an advanced online form builder plugin for putting a form on your website. You can use it to create fully responsive forms and hence, they’ll look perfect on every device (especially if you’re using one of the top responsive themes for WordPress).
- This plugin comes with a free lite version with limited functionality and a premium version with extra features
- Provides a drag and drop builder to create simple and complex forms
- You can change colors, borders, and more without any coding skills
- Use features like conditional logic and spam protection to create advanced forms for your website
Formidable Forms can be used to create GDPR compliant forms. You can either add a checkbox asking for the user’s consent, or you can stop saving IP addresses and form submissions.
Apart from the above features, you can also use the powerful calculation fields to create complex calculations required for building different calculators on things like mortgage application forms, auto, loan, and more.
If you’re having difficulty with Formidable Forms notifications, check out our checklist that will help you to solve Formidable Forms not sending email. And if you’re wondering which is the best email marketing service to build your email list, then check out our roundup of the best email marketing service providers.
$49+/year + a 14-day money-back guarantee.
Contact Form 7 is one of the oldest WordPress contact form plugins in the market. It’s a completely free plugin and has over 5 million active installs. Although it doesn’t cost anything, it does lack a visual free form builder.
- You must know basic HTML to create or customize your contact forms (no drag and drop builder)
- Create simple contact forms and add form fields like textboxes, radio buttons, checkboxes, dropdown menus, dates, and more
- Contact Form 7 can also be integrated with Google reCaptcha to prevent spam
- Many people find they have the Contact Form 7 not sending email issue
There are a lot of free addons available in the WordPress plugin directory to enhance the functionality of this basic plugin. However, due to the lack of an addons directory, it can be hard to find the right solution for your needs.
4. Jetpack Form
Jetpack is a popular WordPress plugin suite and has been built by the team behind WordPress.com.
- Includes various performance, site management, and security modules, both free and premium
- Has a free utility tool called contact form module
- Create simple forms on both the Classic and the block editor
To add your form to the sidebar of your website, you’ve got to create a form in a page or post, copy the generated code, and then add that code to the Text widget (which can be a little complicated).
Overall, this plugin has limited functionality and doesn’t provide a free form maker, just like Contact Form 7. And because it relies on Akismet, aggressive spam filtering can cause issues with Jetpack contact forms not sending email.
Caldera Forms is a free WordPress plugin for creating responsive forms. As of early 2021, they will no longer be accepting new accounts. We suggest using WPForms instead.
- Compatible with almost every WordPress theme
- Comes with form templates that make life easy for you
- Has a drag-and-drop, free form builder, and the ability to publish it quickly
- This plugin offers free and premium addons that let you do things like accept payments, sell digital products, and integrate with an email marketing service to grow your email list.
- Caldera Forms also supports basic functions like spam prevention and sending notification emails, but not many advanced features
Free with premium addons.
6. Ninja Forms
Ninja Forms is a flexible and WordPress contact form plugin that also has a visual form building interface. Unfortunately, even their premium form maker version lacks an embed option like WPForms, so you’re limited in where you can place your forms on your site.
- Developer-friendly options for advanced users wanting a custom form
- Add custom CSS to your WordPress forms
- Create web forms and add different fields for email address, date, phone number, and more
- Ability to manage and export your form submissions
- Provides 40 premium addons like conditional logic, multi-page forms, user analytics, and frontend post submissions
Free version + premium version that starts at $99 per year. You’ll find detailed pricing in our Ninja Forms vs WPForms review.
Which Is the Best Form Plugin for WordPress?
Well, you can use any of the plugins mentioned in this article to create a basic contact form for your website. However, you should use WPForms Lite plugin if you’re looking for a free form builder and user-friendly WordPress form builder plugin.
And later you can upgrade to the premium version of WPForms to use all the powerful features and addons required for creating different types of unlimited forms and that too without any coding skills. It’s one of the best WordPress plugins on the market.
We hope this article helped you to find the best form builder plugin for WordPress.
We’ve got a great comparison if you’d like to check out the differences in WPForms vs Typeform, as well.