Hiring and looking for candidates online? In minutes, you can set up an online form with a job application template that lets you find more qualified candidates for your role.
So in this tutorial, we’ll walk you through exactly how to create a job application form in WordPress.
Video Tutorial on Making a Job Application Form
Here’s a video that shows you how to create a job application in WPForms.
If you would like to work through the written tutorial, you’ll find everything you need in the steps below.
How to Create a Job Application Form in WordPress
Here’s a table of contents for easy navigation of this tutorial on how to make an application form:
- Create a Job Application Form in WordPress
- Customize Your Job Application Form
- Enable Conditional Logic
- Configure Your Form Settings
- Customize Your Job Application Form’s Notifications
- Configure Your Form’s Confirmations
- Add Your Job Application Form to Your Website
Looking for the best job application plugins? This post has you covered on the easiest one to use to create your job application form. Let’s take a look at exactly how to create a job application form in WordPress with the WPForms plugin.
Step 1: Create a Job Application Form in WordPress
The first thing you’ll need to do if you’re wondering how to make an application form online is install and activate the WPForms plugin. For detailed instructions, see this step by step guide on how to install a WordPress plugin.
WPForms is the best form builder for WordPress. Among its many powerful features, it works great as a job application WordPress plugin.
Next, you’ll need to install and activate the Form Templates Pack Addon. With this addon, you’ll be able to access the pre-built job application form template, as well as tons of other industry-specific templates for creating customized forms for your site.
This saves you tons of time since you won’t have to start from scratch and manually add fields to a simple contact form.
From the WPForms addon page, search for the Form Templates Pack.
Click Install Addon and Activate.
Next, go to WPForms » Add New to create a new form.
On the setup screen, name your form and scroll down to the bottom of the templates screen where it says Additional Templates.
Type “Job” into the search bar and the job application form template will appear.
Click on the template and WPForms will create an employment application form (employment application template) for you. You’re one step closer to creating an application form for a job on WordPress.
Step 2: Customize Your Job Application Form
WPForms makes customizing forms easy to do.
In addition to the standard form fields Name, Email, Phone Number, and Address, you’ll notice the following job application form fields:
- Multiple Choice
- Single Line Text
- File Upload (2)
- Paragraph Text
The application for employment template already includes basic questions like contact information, but you can ask for more info if you need it. You can add additional form fields to your job application form by dragging them from the left-hand panel to the right-hand panel.
Here are a few ideas of additional form fields you might want to add using the drag and drop form builder:
- Position — Add a multiple choice, checkbox, or single line text field to have people choose which position they’re applying for.
- Start Date — Add a single line text field and let people enter when they can start. If you want, create an input mask so people can easily enter a date.
- Referral — Add a multiple choice, checkbox, or single line text field asking people if they were referred by another employee, a family or friend, etc.
You can also ask for things like employment history, desired salary, names of previous supervisors, reason for leaving prior jobs, educational background, volunteer work, hobbies and interests, licenses and certifications, availability, and more.
Lastly, it’s important you customize the File Upload field to make sure potential candidates know where to upload their resumes or cover letters to their job application.
To do this, click on the File Upload field and do the following:
- Change the label so people know what to upload
- Add a description with instructions if needed
- Specify the types of file extensions you’ll allow people to upload
- Enter a maximum file size if you want to restrict the size to be smaller than the default of 128MB
- Change the default maximum file number from 1 if you want to allow for more files per field
- Click the Required checkbox if everyone applying must upload a file
Under the Advanced Options section, click the checkbox labeled Store file in WordPress Media Library for easy access to the files your applicants upload to their forms.
Want to have a upload button instead of the Modern style file uploader?
You can read Step #2 in this post on how to switch to the Classic style for your upload field.
When you’re done customizing your form, click Save.
Step 3: Enable Conditional Logic
Having a long job application form is not ideal. To fight form fatigue, create clutter free forms, and still gather the information you need from candidates, you should enable smart conditional logic on your WordPress form.
Let’s take a look at how to do this.
In our example, we’ll ask people filling out the job application form if they were referred by an existing employee. If they select yes, a box will appear asking for the employee’s name. Pretty cool, right?!
So to set this question up, drag the Multiple Choice from field from the left-hand panel of the Form Editor to the right-hand panel. Then, click on the field to make changes.
Here you can change the label and add the choices you want people to pick from.
And under Advanced Options change the Choice Layout to two columns.
Next, under Add Fields, drag a Single Line Text form field directly underneath the referral question on your form. Once you’ve done that, click on the field to make changes.
Start by changing the field label. In our example, we’ll ask the question “Who referred you?”
To enable conditional logic, scroll down to the section labeled Conditionals. Then, click on the checkbox labeled Enable conditional logic.
After you click on the checkbox, customize the conditions. Select Show this field if Were you referred by an existing employee? is Yes.
Now, whenever someone filling out your WordPress job application form selects the multiple choice option “Yes” when answering the question “Were you referred by an existing employee?” the single line text field will appear so they can enter who referred them.
Check it out:
When you’re done, click Save.
Step 4: Configure Your Form Settings
To start, go to Settings » General.
Here you can configure the following:
- Form Name — Change the name of your form here if you’d like.
- Form Description — Give your form a description.
- Submit Button Text — Customize the copy on the submit button.
- Spam Prevention — Stop contact form spam with the anti-spam feature or Google reCAPTCHA. The anti-spam checkbox is automatically checked on all new forms.
- AJAX Forms — Enable AJAX settings with no page reload.
- GDPR Enhancements — You can disable the storing of entry information and user details, such as IP addresses and user agents, in an effort to comply with GDPR requirements. Check out our step-by-step instructions on how to add a GDPR agreement field to your simple contact form.
When you’re done, click Save.
Don’t forget that you can activate the Form Locker addon and add an expiry date to your form. This will let you close the form at a set date and time.
Step 5: Customize Your Job Application Form’s Notifications
Email notifications are a great way to send an email whenever an application is submitted on your WordPress website.
In fact, unless you disable this feature, whenever someone submits a job application form on your site, you’ll get a notification about it.
If you use smart tags, you can also send a notification to the user when they apply online for one of your job openings, letting them know you received their application and will be in contact shortly. This assures people their application has gone through properly.
For help with this step, check out our documentation on how to set up form notifications in WordPress.
And if you want to keep branding across your emails consistent, you can check out this guide on adding a custom header to your email template.
Step 6: Configure Your Form’s Confirmations
Form confirmations are messages that display to site visitors once they submit an online employment application on your website. They let people know that their application has gone through and offer you the chance to let them know what the next steps are.
WPForms has 3 confirmation types to choose from:
- Message — This is the default confirmation type in WPForms. When a site visitor submits a job application form, a simple message confirmation will appear letting them know their application was processed. Check out some great success messages to help boost user happiness.
- Show Page — This confirmation type will take site visitors to a specific web page on your site thanking them for applying. For help doing this, check out our tutorial on redirecting customers to a thank you page. In addition, be sure to check out our article on creating effective Thank You pages.
- Go to URL (Redirect) — This option is for when you want to send site visitors to a different website.
Let’s see how to set up a simple form confirmation in WPForms so you can customize the message site visitors will see when they apply for a position you are hiring for.
To start, click on the Confirmation tab in the Form Editor under Settings.
Next, select the type of confirmation type you’d like to create. For this example, we’ll select Message.
Then, customize the confirmation message to your liking and click Save.
For help with other confirmation types, see our documentation on setting up form confirmations.
So now you’re ready to add your job application form to your website.
Step 7: Add Your Job Application Form to Your Website
After you’ve created your form, you need to add it to your WordPress site. WPForms allows you to add your forms to many locations on your website, including your blog posts, pages, and even sidebar widgets.
So let’s take a look at the most common placement option: WordPress page or post embedding.
To begin, create a new page or post in the WordPress backend, or go to the update settings on an existing one.
After that, click inside the first block (the blank area below your page title) and click on the Add WPForms icon.
The handy WPForms widget will appear inside of your block. Click on the WPForms dropdown and pick which one of the forms you’ve already created that you want to insert into your page. Select your Job Application Form.
Then, publish your post or page so your job application form will appear on your website.
If you want, you can also publish your form using a shortcode. You’ll find the shortcode in the WPForms area of your WordPress dashboard.
To view application form entries after they’ve been submitted, check out this complete guide to form entries. For example:
- You can view, search for, filter, print, and delete any application form entries, making the hiring process that much easier.
- You can use our Zapier addon to automatically save file uploads to cloud services like Google Drive and Dropbox.
- You can export all of your job applications in a CSV file.
Final Thoughts on How to Make an Application Form
And there it is! You now know how to create an online job application form in WordPress using the WPForms plugin so you can easily get job applicants and find the right person for the position you’re trying to fill.
If your job application is lengthy, and you want to break the form up into easier to digest sections, be sure to check out how to create a multi-part form in WordPress.
We also have more tips on creating a refer-a-friend form and adding incentives.
So what are you waiting for? Get started with the most powerful WordPress forms plugin today.