WordPress Tutorials, Tips, and Resources to Help Grow Your Business
Are you hiring? Creating a job application form online will let you quickly gather all the information you need to select the best candidate.
In this tutorial we’ll walk you through how to create a job application form in WordPress.
Step 1: Create a Job Application Form in WordPress
Next, you’ll need to install and activate the Form Templates Pack Addon.
With this addon, you’ll be able to access the pre-built job application form template, as well as tons of other industry and niche specific templates for creating customized forms for your site.
This saves you the time needed to manually add job application form fields to a simple contact form.
Click Install Addon and Activate.
Next, go to WPForms » Add New to create a new form.
On the setup screen, name your form and scroll down to the bottom of the templates screen where it says Additional Templates.
Type “Job” into the search bar and the job application form template will appear.
Click on the template and WPForms will create a job application form for you.
Step 2: Customize Your Job Application Form
WPForms makes customizing forms easy to do.
In addition to the standard form fields Name, Email, Phone Number, and Address, you’ll notice the following job application form fields:
- Multiple Choice
- Single Line Text
- File Upload
- Paragraph Text
You can add additional form fields to your job application form by dragging them from the left hand panel to the right hand panel.
Here are a few ideas of additional form fields you might want to add:
- Position. Add a multiple choice, checkbox, or single line text field to have people choose which position they’re applying for.
- Start Date. Add a single line text field and let people enter when they can start. If you want, create an input mask so people can easily enter a date.
- Referral. Add a multiple choice, checkbox, or single line text field asking people if they were referred by another employee, a family or friend, etc.
You can also ask for things like desired salary, names of previous supervisors, reason for leaving prior jobs, educational background, volunteer work, hobbies and interests, licenses and certifications, availability, and more.
Lastly, it’s important you customize the File Upload field to make sure potential candidates can upload their resumes or cover letters to their job application.
To do this, click on the File Upload field and do the following:
- Change the label so people know what to upload
- Add a description with instructions if needed
- Specify the types of file extensions you’ll allow people to upload
- Enter a maximum file size if you want to restrict the size to be smaller than the default of 128MB
- Click the Required checkbox if everyone applying must upload a file
Under the Advanced Options section, click the checkbox labeled Store file in WordPress Media Library for easy access to the files your applicants upload to their forms.
When you’re done customizing your form, click Save.
Step 3: Enable Conditional Logic
Having a long job application form is not ideal. To fight form fatigue, create clutter free forms, and still gather the information you need from candidates, enable smart conditional logic on your WordPress form.
Let’s take a look at how to do this.
In our example, we’ll ask people filling out the job application form if they were referred by an existing employee.
To set this question up, drag the Multiple Choice from field from the left hand panel of the Form Editor to the right hand panel. Then, click on the form field to make changes.
Change the label, add the choices you want people to pick from, and under Advanced Options change the Choice Layout to two columns.
Next, drag a Single Line Text form field directly underneath the referral question on your form. Once you’ve done that, click on the field to make changes.
Start by changing the field label. In our example, we’ll ask the question “Who referred you?”
To enable conditional logic, scroll down to the section labeled Conditionals. Then, click on the checkbox labeled Enable conditional logic.
After you click on the checkbox, customize the conditions. Select Show this field if Were you referred by an existing employee? is Yes.
Now, whenever someone filling out your WordPress job application form selects the multiple choice option “Yes” when answering the question “Were you referred by an existing employee?” the single line text field will appear so they can enter who referred them.
Check it out:
When you’re done, click Save.
Step 4: Configure Your Job Application Form Settings
To start, go to Settings » General.
Here you can configure the following:
- Form Name. Rename your form here if you want to.
- Form Description. Give your form a description.
- Submit Button Text. Customize the copy on the submit button. In our example, we’ll change our submit button to say “Apply Here.”
- Spam Prevention. Enable the anti-spam honeypot feature to prevent spambot applications and keep your website secure. This feature is automatically enabled on all WordPress forms. If you decide to use another form of spam prevention, unclick this option.
- GDPR Enhancements. You can disable the storing of entry information and user details, such as IP addresses and user agents, in an effort to comply with GDPR requirements. In addition, check out our step by step instructions on how to add a GDPR agreement field to your simple contact form.
When you’re done, click Save.
Step 5: Configure Your Job Application Form’s Notifications
Notifications are a great way to send an email whenever an application is submitted on your website.
In fact, unless you disable this feature, whenever someone submits a job application form on your site, you’ll get a notification about it.
If you use smart tags, you can also send a notification to the user when they apply for a position, letting them know you received their application and will be in contact shortly. This assures people their application has gone through properly.
For help with this step, check out our documentation on how to set up form notifications in WordPress.
Adding to this, if you want to keep branding across your emails consistent, you can check out this guide on adding a custom header to your email template.
Step 6: Configure Your File Upload Form’s Confirmations
Form confirmations are messages that display to site visitors once they submit an application on your website. They let people know that their application has gone through and offer you the chance to let them know what the next steps are.
WPForms has three confirmation types to choose from:
- Message. This is the default confirmation type in WPForms. When a site visitor submits a job application form, a simple message confirmation will appear letting them know their application was processed. Look here for some great success messages to help boost user happiness.
- Show Page. This confirmation type will take site visitors to a specific web page on your site thanking them for applying. For help doing this, check out our tutorial on redirecting customers to a thank you page. In addition, be sure to check out our article on creating effective Thank You pages.
- Go to URL (Redirect). This option is for when you want to send site visitors to a different website.
Let’s see how to set up a simple form confirmation in WPForms so you can customize the message site visitors will see when they apply for a position you are hiring for.
To start, click on the Confirmation tab in the Form Editor under Settings.
Next, select the type of confirmation type you’d like to create. For this example, we’ll select Message.
Then, customize the confirmation message to your liking and click Save.
For help with other confirmation types, see out documentation on setting up form confirmations.
Now you’re ready to add your contact form to your website.
Step 7: Add Your Job Application Form to Your Website
After you’ve created your job application form, you need to add it to your WordPress website.
WPForms allows you to add your forms to many locations on your website, including your blog posts, pages, and even sidebar widgets.
Let’s take a look at the most common post/page embed option.
To start, create a new post or page in WordPress and then click on the Add Form button. Next, select your contact form in the modal popup and click Add Form.
Then, publish your post or page so your job application form will appear on your website.
To view application form entries after they’ve been submitted, check out this complete guide to form entries. For example, you can view, search for, filter, print, and delete any application form entries, making the hiring process that much easier. In addition, you can use our Zapier addon to automatically save file uploads to cloud services like Google Drive, Basecamp, and Dropbox.
And there you have it! You now know how to create a job application form in WordPress so you can easily find the right person for the position you’re trying to fill.
If your job application is lengthy, and you want to break the form up into easier to digest sections, be sure to check out how to create a multi-part form in WordPress.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started with the most powerful WordPress forms plugin today.