Do you want to know how to create a WordPress job application form?
You just need the right WordPress job application plugin to make your candidate search super easy.
In this post, we’ll walk you through exactly how to create a job application form in WordPress.
Video Tutorial on Making a Job Application Form Online
We’ll be using the best WordPress employment application plugin to show you how to create a simple job application form.
If you would like to work through the written tutorial on how to create an application form, you’ll find everything you need in the steps below.
How to Create a Job Application Form in WordPress
This guide will walk you through how to make an application form using the best job application plugin for WordPress
In This Article
Let’s dive in.
Step 1: Install WPForms
WPForms is the best form builder for WordPress. Thanks to its 400+ ready-made templates including templates for business forms and job applications, WPForms also doubles as a great WordPress job application plugin.
The WPForms Pro license comes preloaded with a job application form template with a file upload field. We’ll use this template to make the whole application form creation process easier.
Step 2: Select Job Application Form Template
After installing WPForms on your site, click on WPForms » Add New from your WordPress dashboard.
Give your form a name, then scroll down and type in “job application” in the search field to find WPForms’ Job Application Upoad Form template. Hover your mouse over it and click Use Template to get started.
This is what the template looks like:
Next, we’ll customize our WordPress job application form.
Step 3: Customize Your Job Application Form
One of the factors that make WPForms such a good job application form plugin for WordPress is its range of customization options.
The standard job application template includes Name, Email, Phone Number, and Address, fields in addition to the following:
- Multiple Choice
- Single Line Text
- File Upload (2)
- Paragraph Text
You can easily add additional form fields to your job application form by dragging them from the left-hand panel to the right-hand panel.
Here are a few ideas for some fields you might want to include in your form:
- Position — Add a multiple choice, checkbox, or single line text field to have people choose which position they’re applying for.
- Start Date — Add a single line text field and let people enter when they can start. If you want, create an input mask so people can easily enter a date.
- Referral — Add a multiple choice, checkbox, or single line text field asking people if they were referred by another employee, a family or friend, etc.
You can also ask for things like employment history, desired salary, names of previous supervisors, the reason for leaving prior jobs, educational background, volunteer work, hobbies and interests, licenses and certifications, availability, and more.
Lastly, it’s important you customize the File Upload field to make sure potential candidates know where to upload their resumes or cover letters to their job application.
To do this, click on the File Upload field and do the following:
- Change the label so people know what to upload
- Add a description with instructions if needed
- Specify the types of file extensions you’ll allow people to upload
- Enter a maximum file size if you want to restrict the size to be smaller than the default of 128MB
- Change the default maximum file number from 1 if you want to allow for more files per field
- Click the Required checkbox if everyone applying must upload a file
Under the Advanced Options section, click the checkbox labeled Store file in WordPress Media Library for easy access to the files your applicants upload to their forms.
Want to have an upload button instead of the Modern style file uploader?
You can read Step #2 in this post on how to switch to the Classic style for your upload field.
When you’re done customizing your form, click Save.
Step 4: Enable Conditional Logic
Having a long job application form is not ideal. To fight form fatigue, create clutter free forms, and still gather the information you need from candidates, you should enable smart conditional logic on your WordPress form.
Let’s take a look at how to do this.
In our example, we’ll ask people filling out the job application form if they were referred by an existing employee. If they select yes, a box will appear asking for the employee’s name. Pretty cool, right?!
So to set this question up, drag the Multiple Choice from field from the left-hand panel of the Form Editor to the right-hand panel. Then, click on the field to make changes.
Here you can change the label and add the choices you want people to pick from.
And under Advanced Options change the Choice Layout to two columns.
Next, under Add Fields, drag a Single Line Text form field directly underneath the referral question on your form. Once you’ve done that, click on the field to make changes.
Start by changing the field label. In our example, we’ll ask the question “Who referred you?”
To enable conditional logic, scroll down to the section labeled Conditionals. Then, click on the checkbox labeled Enable conditional logic.
After you click on the checkbox, customize the conditions. Select Show this field if Were you referred by an existing employee? is Yes.
Now, whenever someone filling out your WordPress job application form selects the multiple choice option “Yes” when answering the question “Were you referred by an existing employee?” the single line text field will appear so they can enter who referred them.
Check it out:
When you’re done, click Save.
Step 5: Customize Your Job Application Form’s Notifications
Email notifications are a great way to send an email whenever an application is submitted on your WordPress website.
In fact, unless you disable this feature, whenever someone submits a job application form on your site, you’ll get a notification about it.
If you use smart tags, you can also send a notification to the user when they apply online for one of your job openings, letting them know you received their application and will be in contact shortly. This assures people their application has gone through properly.
For help with this step, check out our documentation on how to set up form notifications in WordPress.
And if you want to keep branding across your emails consistent, you can check out this guide on adding a custom header to your email template.
Step 6: Configure Your Form’s Confirmations
Form confirmations are messages that display to site visitors once they submit an online employment application on your website. They let people know that their application has gone through and offer you the chance to let them know what the next steps are.
WPForms has 3 confirmation types to choose from:
- Message — This is the default confirmation type in WPForms. When a site visitor submits a job application form, a simple message confirmation will appear letting them know their application was processed. Check out some great success messages to help boost user happiness.
- Show Page — This confirmation type will take site visitors to a specific web page on your site thanking them for applying. For help doing this, check out our tutorial on redirecting customers to a thank you page. In addition, be sure to check out our article on creating effective Thank You pages.
- Go to URL (Redirect) — This option is for when you want to send site visitors to a different website.
Let’s see how to set up a simple form confirmation in WPForms so you can customize the message site visitors will see when they apply for a position you are hiring for.
To start, click on the Confirmation tab in the Form Editor under Settings.
Next, select the type of confirmation type you’d like to create. For this example, we’ll select Message.
Then, customize the confirmation message to your liking and click Save.
For help with other confirmation types, see our documentation on setting up form confirmations.
So now you’re ready to add your job application form to your website.
Step 7: Add Your Job Application Form to Your Website
After you’ve created your form, you need to add it to your WordPress site. WPForms allows you to add your forms to many locations on your website, including your blog posts, pages, and even sidebar widgets.
So let’s take a look at the most common placement option: WordPress page or post embedding.
To begin, create a new page or post in the WordPress backend, or go to the update settings on an existing one.
After that, click inside the first block (the blank area below your page title) and click on the Add WPForms icon.
The handy WPForms widget will appear inside of your block. Click on the WPForms dropdown and pick which one of the forms you’ve already created that you want to insert into your page. Select your Job Application Form.
Then, publish your post or page so your job application form will appear on your website.
If you want, you can also create your job application form by publishing it using a shortcode. You’ll find the shortcode in the WPForms area of your WordPress dashboard.
To view application form entries after they’ve been submitted, check out this complete guide to form entries. For example you can:
- View, search, filter, print, and delete any application form entries, making the hiring process that much easier.
- Use our Zapier addon to automatically save file uploads to cloud services like Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Export all of your job applications in a CSV file.
And there it is! You now know how to create an online job application form in WordPress using the WPForms plugin so you can easily get job applicants and find the right person for the position you’re trying to fill.
Next, Take Your WordPress Forms to the Next Level
You’ve probably realized by now that WPForms is an extremely versatile form builder that also serves as a WordPress employment application plugin.
If you want to learn more, here are some articles displaying other awesome capabilities you get with WPForms:
- If your job application is lengthy, and you want to break the form up into easier to digest sections, be sure to check out how to create a multi-part form in WordPress.
- We also have more tips on creating a refer-a-friend form and adding incentives.
- If an employee leaves, you can easily get their feedback by asking these exit survey questions.
Ready to make your application form? Get started with the most powerful WordPress forms plugin today. WPForms Pro comes with a free job application form template.