Want to build your small business website yourself in just a few clicks?
These days, there are lots of beginner-friendly website builders that can help you save money by not hiring someone to make a website for you.
In this guide, we’ve put together the very best website builders for small business and their features so you can find the right one for you.
The Best Website Builders for Small Business
We’ve rounded up a list of the world’s most popular and best website builders for small business.
The most popular website builder in the world is WordPress.org — the platform powers 34% of the entire internet.
WordPress.org self-hosted with Bluehost is a Content Management System (CMS) that’s flexible and super easy to use. Most people agree that it’s the best free website builder for your small business website.
If you’re using WordPress.org, creating a website is super easy because you can use the fantastic drag and drop website builders out there like Divi, Elementor, or Beaver Builder to make your site look professionally designed.
You can also use one of the best WordPress themes for small business to make your site look like you had a web designer’s help.
- It’s open-source which means it’s available on most web hosting platforms, including Bluehost
- WordPress.org has drag and drop builder compatibility
- 1,000’s of WordPress plugins are available to give your site more functions and features (for ultimate customization)
- Used and loved by major brands
- Easily take credit cards and make money online with an eCommerce store
- Unless you have managed WordPress hosting, you’re in charge of maintaining your website (backups, security, updates, and more), which might not be part of your business plan
- Setting up a website can be a little time-consuming but there’s lots of WordPress for beginners resources out there
Is security a priority for you? Be sure to read our post on the top security plugins for WordPress.
WordPress.org on it’s own is free. But you need to install it somewhere, so you’ll need to get your domain name and hosting — we recommend Bluehost.
You can get started for just $2.75/month which includes a free custom domain.
Wondering which website builder is easiest to use? Constant Contact Website Builder comes from the people who created one of the best email marketing services around, Constant Contact, so you know it’s easy to use while still being powerful.
- Easy to use drag and drop builder lets you build a site in minutes
- Amazing customer support available 24/7 to help via email, live chat, or phone
- Includes a free SSL certificate for added WordPress security
- Comes with essential features like blog and eCommerce integration
- No integrations for 3rd-party extensions
- It’s not as customizable and full of features as other website builders like WordPress.org
There’s a free version but you’ll need to upgrade to get a custom domain which starts at $10/month.
Looking to power your online store? BigCommerce is the website builder behind websites like Ben & Jerry’s, CamelBak, Skullcandy, and other well-known online stores. They know their stuff about eCommerce and they’ve made a product to help people build, manage, and grow an online store without knowing a line of code.
- You don’t have to worry about the technical side of things when you build a website
- Easily build and design your own eCommerce store with beautiful templates
- Keep credit cards and financial info safe with protection from hackers and DDoS attacks
- Customize your store by adding advanced features with BigCommerce apps including reviews, shipping tools, and more
- They offer 24/7 chat, email, and phone support which is incredibly helpful for small business owners and employees
- You can’t install any 3rd-party extensions outside of the ones offered by Constant Contact
- It’s not free and you’ll need to upgrade for additional features like stored credit cards
Their basic plan starts at $29.95/month.
Curious which website builder is best for eCommerce? Shopify is one of the best and well-known website builders made especially for online stores and eCommerce small business websites. It powers over 500,000 businesses and more than $40 billion of products have been sold through this powerful site builder platform.
- Since it’s an all-in-one managed solution, you don’t have to worry about updating software or backups
- They offer 100’s of stunning pre-built designs to give your online store a professional look
- The drag and drop website builder is easy to use even for beginners
- Shopify offers an in-store POS so you can sell products on location as well as your eCommerce store
- If you use an external payment gateway, Shopify charges a fee of .5 to 2% per transaction
- It’s difficult to move your site away from Shopify
- The pricing is higher than most other website builders which might be an issue for many small business owners
Shopify’s basic plan starts at $29/month.
Even for small businesses, data means power. Check out this post with 99+ small business digital marketing statistics for some surprising facts.
GoDaddy Website Builder comes from one of the most well-known domain name and hosting service providers in the world. Of course, this simple online website builder includes GoDaddy hosting. It’s a good bet if you want a simple website and don’t need to have lots of content on it.
- Has an easy to use drag and drop website builder
- Works on smaller screens like tablets and mobile phones
- A Getty Photography integrated image library for you to use on your site
- Has a limited set of features and fewer design and customization options
- It’s difficult to move your site away from GoDaddy Website Builder
GoDaddy Website Builder has business plans that start at $9.99/month.
Another builder created by a hosting company is Gator Website Builder, made by HostGator. It’s another popular tool for small businesses to use to build a website.
- Drag and drop builder is incredibly easy to use to add images, video, Google maps, and more to your site
- Tons of professionally designed themes to pick from so your site looks fantastic
- The already low price even includes a custom domain name, SSL certificate, and hosting which makes it one of the most cost-effective site builders on our list
- The limited features make it not ideal for eCommerce stores or websites that want more than a simple online presence
Wondering what is the best and cheapest website builder? If you want a basic website, Gator Website Builder could be a good choice for you because it starts at only $3.46/month.
MemberPress is a great site builder for small businesses and it’s actually a plugin that you’ll need a self hosted WordPress.org website to use. This is the route you’ll want to take if you want to set up a membership website easily.
- You can accept payments for memberships, sell digital downloads, and control who sees all of your site’s content
- Build a business online with recurring subscription revenue
- Set up a membership website in just minutes with no coding
- Integrates with email marketing services to help grow your email list
Check out our list of the best membership plugins compared.
- Like many 3rd-party plugins, it’s works with WordPress.org so you’ll need to take care of software updates and backups yourself
MemberPress pricing starts at $149/year.
Weebly is listed among the best free website builder software for small business often since you can get started for free. And while it’s hard to argue with that price tag keep in mind — you get what you pay for.
- Start building a website right away with the easy drag and drop builder tool if you need a simple online presence
- Ability to see website stats
- Offers pre-designed layouts to help customize your site
- There’s no free domain name here since you’ll need a premium plan to remove the Weebly subdomain from your URL (which can make your site look unprofessional)
The Weebly Starter plan starts at $8/month.
BoldGrid is a unique and new type of website builder that’s built on top of WordPress.org. It’s offered as a standalone WordPress plugin as well as a fully hosted website builder suite. It’s one of the best website platforms for small business since it has very little cons.
- Build a website quickly with a professional design from their theme collection
- Access the benefits of WordPress.org since it’s built on top of the platform
- Drag and drop site builder customizer to change fonts, colors, layouts and more
- WooCommerce ready
- WordPress.org backups are handled through BoldGrid
- Very affordable so great for new small business owners
- You’ll need WordPress.org to use BoldGrid
The basic plan is free and premium plans start at only $20/year.
SiteBuilder is a straightforward (and affordable) website builder that lets you easily and quickly create a small business site, blog, or even an eCommerce store.
- User-friendly drag and drop builder
- Hosting and a domain name are including with their plans
- Set up an online store easily with their eCommerce option
- Includes some website analytics
- Offers lots of gorgeous pre-built templates
- SiteBuilder has limited options if you’re hoping for more than just a basic online presence for your small business
SiteBuilder starts at $5/month for their basic plan and $9/month for eCommerce.
Squarespace is one of the best website builders for small business that’s very well-known for their sleek and cool designs. It’s an OK choice if you want a simple website that looks professionally designed.
- It’s very easy to use with their drag and drop builder
- They take care of hosting and it includes a custom domain
- Not only do they have tons of templates, you can use more than one on the same website to make it really unique
- Offers an eCommerce plan if you’d like to add an online store to your site
- You can’t access most 3rd-party applications which can be a huge barrier to growing your business online
- They have limited payment gateways you can accept money through
Squarespace starts at $12/month. If you’d like an eCommerce site, it starts at $26/month.
What’s the Best Website Builder for Small Business?
Both of these solutions offer access to or their own drag and drop builder making them very user-friendly. On top of that, they both are affordable so they’re perfect for a small business budget.
If you want the best of the best in websites and online marketing capabilities, you’ll want to go with WordPress.org.
But if you’re looking for a simple solution to build a website quickly, Constant Contact Website Builder is our other suggestion.
And that’s it! You now know the best website builders for small businesses. Hopefully, this post helped you find the right solution for you from the builder on this list.
Make sure you check out our post on ways to reduce shopping cart abandonment if you’re just getting started with your business online.