Do you need an easy and efficient way to get people’s consent to use video footage that you’ve taken of them during activities and at events?
It’s crucial you have people’s permission to take and use video of them.
In this article, we’ll show you how to create a video release form in WordPress.
The Importance of a Video Release Form
If you’re a video producer it’s in your best interest to always have anyone recorded fill out a video production release form so you avoid any liability and have the opportunity to do what you want with the footage.
Here are some reasons why video release forms are so important:
- Anyone that doesn’t fill out a video release form may later ask you to pull their likeness from your video
- If you videotape a minor and don’t have parental consent, you could face legal trouble
- So the signer of the video release form can release their right to approve or disapprove of the finished product
- To give people the impression you are a professional and care about their rights
- To ensure those in your film are not violating another contract they’ve signed, and removing liability from yourself if they are
- Because it’s the nice thing to do, even if you’re in a public place and don’t technically need permission
If you approach people in a nice, professional way when videotaping at an event or activity, chances are they’ll sign the form without a problem. And if they don’t, and give you a hassle, just be happy you avoided having to deal with them later after you’ve edited your film and they want out of it.
Let’s take a look at how to create a video release form in WordPress.
Step 1: Create a Video Release Form in WordPress
Using WPForms is the easiest way to create a standard video release form in WordPress. WPForms comes with the Form Templates Pack addon that allows you to choose from 100+ pre-built templates for every niche and industry, including a video release form template.
Next, you’ll need to install and activate the Form Templates Pack addon.
To do this, go to WPForms » Addon and find the one labeled Form Templates Pack addon.
Click Install Addon and then Activate.
Now you’ll need to create a new form.
To do this, go to WPForms » Add New, and name your form. Then, scroll down to the section labeled Additional Templates and type “video release” into the search bar.
When the pre-built video release form template loads, most of the work is already done for you.
You’ll see form fields for the following:
- Name of person in the video
- Section Divider with terms and conditions
- Date / Time
- Agreement checkbox
If you want to see the online video release form template in action, head over and check out our sample video release form demo.
You can add additional fields to your form by dragging them from the left hand panel to the right hand panel.
Then, click on the field to make any changes. You can also click on a form field and drag it to rearrange the order on your Video release form.
For example, if you want to require a parent or guardian signature on your forms because it’s a video release form for minors, add the Signature form field to your video release form template.
Just make sure to select the Required checkbox so parents or guardians can’t submit their form without a signature.
You might also consider adding Name, Email, or Phone form fields to your video release form template so you can get in touch with people you’ve recorded later for any reason.
When your video release form looks the way you want it to, click Save.
Step 2: Configure Your Video Release Form Settings
To start, go to Settings » General.
Here you can configure the following:
- Form Name — Change the name of your form here if you’d like.
- Form Description — Give your form a description.
- Submit Button Text — Customize the copy on the submit button.
- Spam Prevention — Stop contact form spam with the honeypot feature or Google reCAPTCHA. The honeypot feature is automatically enabled on all WordPress forms so if you decide to use another form of spam prevention, unclick this option.
- AJAX Forms — Enable AJAX settings with no page reload.
- GDPR Enhancements — You can disable the storing of entry information and user details, such as IP addresses and user agents, in an effort to comply with GDPR requirements. Check out our step-by-step instructions on how to add a GDPR agreement field to your simple contact form.
Step 3: Configure Your Video Release Form Notifications
Notifications are a great way to send an email whenever someone submits a video release form on your website.
In fact, unless you disable this feature, whenever someone submits a video release form on your site, you’ll get a notification about it.
If you use smart tags, you can also send a notification to people who fill out a video release form, letting them know you’ve received their form and will be in contact shortly if need be. This assures people their release form has gone through properly.
You can also add important information to the notification about their video release form and the footage that was taken of them. For instance, you can mention where they might be able to view their footage when it airs. You can also include information about when and where the footage was taken so there’s no confusion later on.
For help with this step, check out our documentation on how to set up form notifications in WordPress.
You can send more than one notification when someone submits a video release form on your site. For example, you can send a notification to yourself, those that were recorded, and anyone on your production team that might need access to the release, and later the actual footage.
For help doing this, check out our step by step tutorial on how to send multiple form notifications in WordPress.
Lastly, if you want to keep branding across your emails consistent, you can check out this guide on adding a custom header to your email template.
This will give your video release form a professional touch and make people filling it out feel more at ease when releasing their rights to the video footage.
Step 4: Configure Your Video Release Form Confirmations
Form confirmations are messages that display to people once they submit a video release form on your website. They let people know that their form has gone through and offer you the chance to let them know what the next steps are.
WPForms has three confirmation types:
- Message. This is the default confirmation type in WPForms. When someone submits a video release form, a simple message confirmation will appear letting them know their form was received and is being processed.
- Show Page. This confirmation type will take customers to a specific web page on your site thanking them. For help doing this, check out our tutorial on redirecting customers to a thank you page.
- Go to URL (Redirect). This option is used when you want to send people to a different website.
Let’s see how to set up a simple form confirmation in WPForms so you can customize the message people will see when they fill out a video release form on your website.
To start, click on the Confirmation tab in the Form Editor under Settings.
Next, select the type of confirmation type you’d like to create. For this example, we’ll select Message.
Then, customize the confirmation message to your liking and click Save.
Step 7: Add Your Video Release Form to Your Website
After you’ve created a video release form, you need to add it to your WordPress website.
WPForms allows you to add your forms to many locations on your website, including your blog posts, pages, and even sidebar widgets.
Let’s take a look at the most common post/page embed option.
To start, create a new post or page in WordPress and then click on the Add Form button.
Next, select your video release form in the modal popup and click Add Form.
Then, publish your post or page so your form will appear on your website.
And there you have it! You now know how to create a video release form in WordPress.
If you’re interested in using the video footage you’ve captured for promoting your business, be sure to check out this roundup of online business stats and focus on the video marketing section.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started with the most powerful WordPress forms plugin today.